[slf4j-dev] slf4j i8ln

Ceki Gulcu ceki at qos.ch
Mon Aug 24 20:27:45 CEST 2009

Takeshi Kondo wrote:
> Hello Ceki
>
> Thanks for your response.
>
> Could you tell me reason you am not convinced?

By not convinced, I mean that I am not persuaded by your approach but I am also
not dismissing it.

> I don't understand that  you have other possibly better ways of
> obtaining the change log level.

You can use filters to create rules of action. Such filters can scan for message
codes and when a particular message code is detected, the filter can modify the
level associated with a logging statement. So, when you write

   logger.warn("The earth is warming up");

the filter can reduce the logging level to DEBUG instead of WARN on the fly.
Filters can be defined in a configuration file which can be loaded and reloaded
at will.

So, filters are another way of changing the logging level at runtime.

I hope this sheds some light on the matter.