[slf4j-dev] Request for a log message processing hook.

Thorbjoern Ravn Andersen ravn at runjva.com
Tue May 26 20:42:59 CEST 2009

John O'Grady skrev:
> Hello devs - I love your product, and I'm trying to use it in a
> special logging system I'm developing as an open source project.  One
> of the things I need for this to work is the ability to intercept
> messages being logged by the slf4j framework, ostensibly right after
> the message has been "processed" by the inner slf4j workings and
> before it is sent to the underlying logging system.
>
> As an example, take this code from org.slf4j.impl.Log4jLoggerAdapter.java:

This is as such not an API but an implementation detail, which would
have to be done in every slf4j implementation to be universally available.

I agree with Ceki that this should go in the logging backend and be an
implementation detail.  If you really want it to go into the bridge,
there is no reason why you should not be able to subclass the
Log4jLoggerAdapter to get the stuff you need, and tell the class
providing the Log4jLoggerAdapter instance to provide your class instead.

But enough technicalities.  I'd much rather that you provide specific
detail on what it is you want to solve, and why it cannot be done within
the current functionality?

--
  Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen  "...plus... Tubular Bells!"