[slf4j-dev] slf4j-osgi-api module

Ceki Gülcü ceki at qos.ch
Thu Nov 26 19:08:59 CET 2009

Hugues Malphettes wrote:

> Client bundles that depend on slf4j state in their manifest:
>       Import-Package: org.slf4j
> The osgi container resolves this into a dependency on slf4j-api and
> everything works on the client side.
>
> On the logger implementation side: we need logback-classic or another
> bundle that provides o.s.impl to be set to start automatically. slf4j
> logs with NOPLogger until logback-classic is started

By the big picture, I actually meant the role played by the
osgi-container from an architectural point of view. Is it correct to
suppose that the target platform for slf4j-osgi-api is some OSGi
container, e.g.  Spring DM, Eclipse or Glassfish v3, which manage the
"application" as bundles?

If we are going the OSGi way, and we assume the existence of an OSGi
platform, I think we should tackle the much harder problem of logging
separation [1]. It's a very serious problem which I think could be
solved with help of OSGi (or maybe even OSGi is not enough.)

[1] http://logback.qos.ch/manual/loggingSeparation.html