[slf4j-dev] licensing

Espák Miklós espakm at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 13:09:06 CET 2010

Hi,

I am developing a framework over Prolog APIs for Java. It is a facade
for Prolog implementations, just like SLF4J is for logging APIs.

I used some code from SLF4J, and I have modified that for my purposes.
I renamed the files (e.g. LoggerFactory to ProverFactory).

I want to release the software under LGPL. The MIT license of SLF4J
permits this.

Which of the following is the correct way of doing this?

1. I drop the MIT licence, and use LGPL, reserving the copyright
statement of the original authors, and adding my copyright, e.g. in
the following way:
    "Copyright by <me>, under LGPL License. Credits to XY for the
original code of ZYX from library SLF4J.
2. I keep the MIT licence and the copyright statement of the original
authors and add my copyright because of the modifications. This way
certain files would be licenced under the MIT licence, and most of the
source files under LGPL.

I would prefer the first version, if possible, so that I do not need
to use several licences in the same project.

Regards,

Miklos Espak