[slf4j-dev] Plan for SLF4J 2.0

Gunnar Wagenknecht gunnar at wagenknecht.org
Mon Mar 8 22:27:54 CET 2010

Am 08.03.2010 15:34, schrieb Ceki Gülcü:
> Moreover, while a container may be built using JDK 1.4 I don't see how
> a container could force the use of JDK 1.4. The end-user can always
> chose to use a later version of the JDK.

Actually, not. I have seen so many shops which deployed WebSphere and
then are bound to the IBM JRE shipped with WebSphere.

> My comment was about a container exporting its version of SLF4J to the
> application, but as long as SLF4J v1 and v2 are binary compatible that
> would not be a problem. If v1 and v2 are NOT binary compatible, then that's
> a different matter altogether.

>From my understanding, if it's binary compatible it's not v2.

There is some information centralized here:
http://wiki.eclipse.org/API_Central

This one is particular interesting:
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Evolving_Java-based_APIs
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Evolving_Java-based_APIs_2#Turning_non-generic_types_and_methods_into_generic_ones

Also this one:
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Version_Numbering#When_to_change_the_major_segment

>From the article above it appears that it's actually possible to use 1.5
syntax in source which gets "down-compiled" to 1.4.

> WDYT?

What about a simple user survey to find out what SLF4J users are
actually using today? The whole discussion might be obsolete if the
survey unveils that 40% of the users are using 1.4 JREs and cannot
upgrade. It could also be that >80% use Java5 already. It would be also
interesting which is the most used SLF4J implementation.

-Gunnar

--
Gunnar Wagenknecht
gunnar at wagenknecht.org