[slf4j-dev] level based on enums

Joern Huxhorn jhuxhorn at googlemail.com
Tue May 4 15:28:11 CEST 2010

On 03.05.2010, at 13:44, Ceki Gülcü wrote:

> On 03/05/2010 1:02 PM, Ralph Goers wrote:
>> Since adding Messages doesn't break the API I'd still like it added in 1.6.
>
> In order to support Message the o.s.Logger interface has to be
> modified which was the main issue discussed thus far. Moreover, any
> addition to the o.s.Logger interface has to be supported indefinitely
> since Logger is a client-facing interface. Changes to Logger cannot be
> taken lightly. Frankly, I am quite puzzled by the "Message doesn't
> break the API" statement which I attribute to a yet unidentified
> misunderstanding.

I think he was referring to the fact that adding to an interface does not break client-side API compatibility, "only" compatibility of implementing classes.

The reason why we (re)started the Message discussion at this point was the addition of a new method in LocationAwareLogger that rendered current SLF4J implementations incompatible with the new SLF4J.
The idea was that breaking this compatibility only once would be better than multiple times - so adding Message support in the same release would have made sense.
I agree that we mustn't extend the Logger interface carelessly - and since it doesn't look like we'll find a common position anytime soon, it might indeed be the best to postpone this issue...

Anyway, please consider fixing http://jira.qos.ch/browse/LBCLASSIC-156 before releasing a new SLF4J 1.6.0 compatible Logback. It's a rather small and simple issue after all.

Cheers,
Joern.