[slf4j-dev] slf4j-api and slf4j-android don't play nicely together?

Carsten.Friedrich at csiro.au Carsten.Friedrich at csiro.au
Mon Dec 9 06:51:39 CET 2013

I have a library which uses slf4j-api (through maven) and an Android App which uses the library and wants to use slf4j-android. Due to limitation of how maven integration works in Eclipse it seems I can only include all or none of the transitive dependencies of the library in my app. I want to chose all, as I need them (almost) all anyway. However, the classes in slf4j-api and alf4j-android overlap and they both contain copies of classes with identical names. The Android build process in Eclipse does not like this at all:

[2013-12-09 16:49:13 - Dex Loader] Unable to execute dex: Multiple dex files define Lorg/slf4j/ILoggerFactory;
[2013-12-09 16:49:13 - TSSAndroidColab] Conversion to Dalvik format failed: Unable to execute dex: Multiple dex files define Lorg/slf4j/ILoggerFactory;

Is there a way to use a generic base jar in a library and then some other system specific jars (e.g. for Android) in addition without duplicate class definitions?

Cheers,
Carsten