[slf4j-dev] Requesting permission to use source code from slf4j-taglib (and inquiring about its location)

Nick Williams nicholas at nicholaswilliams.net
Mon Mar 25 14:21:47 CET 2013

Hello,

I'm working on a tag library module for the new Log4j 2 coming out (hopefully) later this year. The slf4j-taglib sub-project is based on the Jakarta Commons Log Taglib, which was built for log4j and is retired. Log4j 2 is a vast improvement over Log4j, and some of its features were inspired by SLF4J. There is undoubtedly some very interrelated code history here, though I don't know the exact details of that on either side.

Though the Log4j 2 tag library will obviously have some differences from slf4j-taglib, I can see how there may be some existing code that could be very useful to us. I'd like to go ahead and ask permission from the SLF4J developers to use code from slf4j-taglib for this project. The licenses are compatible (both Apache 2.0), so that won't be an issue. All I need is an email from y'all granting us permission.

Also, there's the issue that I can't find the source code for slf4j-taglib. It's not in the JARs or ZIPs available for download from the SLF4J website, it's not on the github repository, and it's not in Maven. Could anyone point me to its location?

Thanks in advance,

Nick Williams