[slf4j-user] Trouble setting up logback/slf4j in tomcat.

Sebastien Pennec sebastien at qos.ch
Fri Dec 22 14:14:18 CET 2006

Hello Jacob,

In Marten's situation, I see three important points.

1. Use logback as a logger for his application.
2. Intercept the logging from other applications and frameworks running under Tomcat
thanks to jcl104-over-slf4j.
3. Intercept Tomcat's *internal* logging and direct it to logback. I mean: what the
Tomcat internal classes, like org.apache.catalina.* or org.apache.tomcat.* classes,
log, by intercepting their calls to commons-logging.

My email was about that last situation. Placing a jar in commons/lib makes it
available to the applications, but doesn't make it available to the Tomcat classes
when you launch the server. Maybe I did not express myself very clearly about this
point, if that is the case, please excuse me.

As far as I know, log4j and logback are not different at this level. On the logback
side, we do not have a perfect solution to this problem yet.

Cheers,

Sébastien