[slf4j-user] Why 'simple' uses standard out?

Ceki Gülcü listid at qos.ch
Thu Feb 23 15:18:07 CET 2006

Hi Alex,

It looks like we have 3 people voicing 3 different opinions. :-)

Hi Kostis,

Given that slf4j-simple.jar can easily be replaced by a another jar
offering fully-fledged logging functionality, does the output destination
of slf4j-simple.jar matter? In particular, I'd like to return to the two
reasons you put forth.

 > 1. It doesn't collide with console apps that utilize the standard out
 > for processing.

OK. By collide you probably mean that it is possible to separate logging
output from application output intended for user interaction. But don't
both stderr and stdout end up on the console? It seems to me that sending
logging output to stderr separation would avoid collisions, except if
stderr was redirected to a file. Do you see where I am getting at?

 > 2. It is the default of JDK and the Unix way (i believe for the above
reason) .

Indeed, ConsoleHandler outputs by to stderr. By Unix, what system do you
have in mind? Syslog?