[slf4j-user] Missing a basic concept

Pat Farrell pfarrell at pfarrell.com
Mon Nov 13 22:14:24 CET 2006

Hi,

I just found slf4j after years of working where I had to mentally jump
from one logger say log4j to another (jdk1.4) and back at the whims of
pointy haired bosses, so slf4j looks like an answer to my prayers.

But I'm missing a basic thing, I think.

I wrote a trivial test driver using code straight out of the example in
http://www.slf4j.org/manual.html

First problem was that I just put
slf4j-simple-1.1.0-RC0.jar on my classpath, and got lots of undefined
symbols, like Logger. The solution seems to be to put both the
slf4j-simple-1.1.0-RC0 and slf4j-api-1.1.0-RC0.jar on the path.
Perhaps this is documented, or assumed when you talk about a facade, but
it was not clear to me.

The second problem, which I have not resolved is that no logging occurs.
Do I have to call some function of 'simple' to turn on logging, set the
default level, assign a log file, etc.?

Thanks
Pat
--