[slf4j-user] Varargs for Logger methods

Ceki Gülcü listid at qos.ch
Sun Oct 15 19:34:22 CEST 2006

Hello Martin,

JDK 1.5 vargs support in org.slf4j.Logger class methods is one of the
most frequently requested features. However, since SLF4J is intended
to be compatible JDK 1.2 and above, we cannot add vargs support
without breaking compatibility with older JDK's.

Some of our users expect SLF4J to be JDK 1.4 compatible. It
would be quite inappropriate to pull the rug under their feet.

However, if there is a way to preserve compatibility with existing
clients (both compile time and run time), then I'd be glad add vararg
support to SLF4J. In practice see [1], this means that we would need two
versions of slf4j-API.jar, one targeting JDK 1.4 and one targeting JDK
1.5. If you care to submit a bug report, I'll be happy to revisit this
issue closely before 1.1 final is released.

As for vararg support in logback, since logback is a native
implementation of SLF4J, if SLF4J API does not have it, then nor will
logback. It is also true that if SLF4J has it, so will logback.