[slf4j-user] Log4j bridge - deprecated functionality

M. Hansen mphaua at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 21:10:18 CEST 2008

Hi,

We have decided to use JDK1.4 logging and we have some legacy applications
that uses log4j. Our idea is to use SLF4J to bridge calls to log4j to jdk1.4
through SLF4J. However, we do not have the source code for some of our
legacy applications and some use deprecated functionality from log4j. More
precisely we have run into a problem where some code invokes
Category.getInstance(java.lang.String). This method is deprecated in log4j
but still part of the API (
http://logging.apache.org/log4j/1.2/apidocs/org/apache/log4j/Category.html).
The log4j bridge does not include deprecated functionality. Why is this? If
the bridge is targeted for use in legacy applications it is most likely the
code will make use of an older log4j where the methods were not marked as
deprecated.

Regards
M. Hansen