[slf4j-user] log4j-over-slf4j API Question

Matthew Wheeler mattwheeler at mail.com
Mon Dec 29 17:35:41 CET 2008

Log4j (at least version 1.2), has the following log method signatures:

public void log(Priority priority,

                java.lang.Object message,

                java.lang.Throwable t)

public void log(Priority priority,

                java.lang.Object message)

public void log(java.lang.String callerFQCN,

                Priority level,

                java.lang.Object message,

                java.lang.Throwable t)

However, the log4j-over-slf4j API only appears to support the following signature (copied from Category.java in the log4j-over-slf4j sources):

public void log(String FQCN, Priority p, Object msg, Throwable t)

I am just wondering why there is not support for the other method signatures, or if I am just not seeing it or something?  I understand that it is easy enough to put null for the extra parameters for new development.  However, I was under the impression that the log4j-over-slf4j jar is to allow for backwards compatibility, which not having these other signatures could break - I think.  Are there plans to add these, or am I missing something?  If they need to be added, I would be more than happy to provide a patch.

Thanks,

Matt W.

--
Be Yourself @ mail.com!