[slf4j-user] Making Spring use SL4J in a web application served by a Tomcat 5.5 server (should I expect problems?)

Kent Larsson kent.larsson at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 13:37:52 CET 2009

Hi, I'm pretty new to logging, in fact I've only used logging before with
log4j and never set it up myself. However there is a time to learn
everything and I've looked around and think that SL4J with Logback as its
back end will be a nice solution for us.

I have two important questions:

We use Tomcat 5.5.x and it comes bundled with JCL and there might be
problems overriding that bundled JCL version, will it also stop SL4J from
pretending to be JCL? (Reference:
http://commons.apache.org/logging/troubleshooting.html#Apache%20Tomcat )

How can I check that Spring 2.5 is actually using SL4J? That is, how can I
verify that logging is working as it should?

As Tomcat is quite popular, as is Spring, I hope there are some answers out
there.

Thank you for reading! Have a nice day!

/ Kent