[slf4j-user] Why is there no NDC?

Joern Huxhorn jhuxhorn at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 22 02:13:02 CET 2009

Hi.

I hope I'm not beating a dead horse but I just somewhat rediscovered
the log4j NDC class (I was using commons.logging before switching to
slf4j) and I was wondering why there is no NDC class defined in slf4j.

While the original NDC class could be improved it seems like a quite
nice addition to the MDC. I guess it would get especially interesting
with closures where you could write something like

(pseudo-code)
slf4j.NDC("Parameter is {}.", obj)
{
	[the nested code]
}

which would remove the necessity to pop the stack manually.

But even without closures an NDC implementation utilizing parameters
seems really worthwhile to me.

Just wondering,
Joern.