[slf4j-user] Why is there no NDC?

Ceki Gulcu ceki at qos.ch
Fri Jan 23 11:11:39 CET 2009

Hello Joern,

Did you know that NDC can be implemented on top of MDC? I just added such an
implementation into slf4j-ext. You can view it at:

http://svn.slf4j.org/viewvc?view=rev&revision=1268

I hear that you when you sat that you would like to see NDC introduced in SLF4J
but I still don't really see the added value of NDC when MDC is avaliable.

The blog about NDC by "mike" does not really explain why NDC is better. It
explains that the NDC API is different and that his team would like to stay with
an API they already use, namely NDC.

As for your examples with closures, other than showing that closures are cool,
they do not explain why NDC is required when MDC is available. Can you think of
an explanation without closures demonstrating the advantages of NDC?

 > While I *can* live without an NDC I would definitely use it if it was
 > available in SLF4J.

I am interested. How you would use NDC more efficiently than MDC, if NDC was
available in SLF4J?

Cheers,

[1] http://www.flester.com/blog/2008/02/03/slf4j-log4j-and-ndc