[slf4j-user] Correct usage of Marker interfaces

Jeffrey Sinclair jeff at cooljeff.co.uk
Tue Jul 14 22:28:39 CEST 2009

Ceki,

Thanks for your response.

This relates to a thread my colleague started a little while ago [1].

As Zoltan points out we are looking to use SLF4J as an alerting
abstraction. This has been implemented using logback as the back end
without any issues.

Personally I'm a very big fan of logback because unlike most other
logging implementations, logback has not only addressed the façade but
also addresses the more complex use-cases (such as filters, mdc, etc)
which are essential for making something as important as a logging
framework really work well in an enterprise environment.

Having said this, I don't want to loose sight of the importance of the
façade which SLF4J provides. Whilst I know it has been mentioned a
couple of times that all logback cares about is that what is passed is
an implementation of Marker, what I really want someone to say is that
all SLF4J stipulates is that what is passed through the Logger interface
only needs to implement Marker.

This is not clear to me from the design of the APIs. My concern is that
subtle ambiguities like this can result in compatibility issues with
other logging frameworks which might implement Markers, which assume
that what they will get back has been created from their own, statically
bound, MarkerFactory.

The javadocs for the MarkerFactory has the following:

"MarkerFactory is a utility class producing Marker instances as
appropriate for the logging system currently in use."

If you are free to provide your own Marker implementations, then what is
the real purpose of the MarkerFactory?

I want to avoid two scenarios in the future being caused by legitimate
use of Markers by an SLF4J implementation:

1. Getting ClassCastExceptions because a backend implementation has
tried to cast to its own type created by its own MarkerFactory.

2. My marker instance not being preserved to the backend implementation.
For example I don't want the backend implementation to try to pass me
something which returns the same name through Marker.getName() but is
not my original Marker instance since I will loose additional state
associated to my custom Marker.

Jeff

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@slf4j.org/msg02249.html