[slf4j-user] SLF4J w/Log4J and Axis2 - No Log File is created

v2cg4ss sselvia at datamentors.com
Tue Sep 15 21:58:32 CEST 2009

I have changed my code from Log4J logging to SLF4J and I now my log files are
no longer written to disk for my web service, I can see all of the logging
in the tomcat console.  I copied the following slf4j jars to my
apache-tomcat-6.0.20\webapps\axis2\WEB-INF\lib folder and I renamed the
existing slf4j-api-1.5.2.jar.org and slf4j-jdk14-1.5.2.jar.org.  Inside the
apache-tomcat-6.0.20\webapps\axis2\WEB-INF\classes folder the
commons-logging.properties has the following:

# Uncomment the next line to disable all logging.
#org.apache.commons.logging.Log=org.apache.commons.logging.impl.NoOpLog

# Uncomment the next line to enable the simple log based logging
#org.apache.commons.logging.Log=org.apache.commons.logging.impl.SimpleLog

# Uncomment the next line to enable log4j based logging
org.apache.commons.logging.Log=org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JLogger

Also, the log4j.properties has:

# Set root category priority to INFO and its only appender to CONSOLE.
log4j.rootCategory=INFO, CONSOLE
#log4j.rootCategory=INFO, CONSOLE, LOGFILE
log4j.category.com.myservice=TRACE, MyWebService

# Set the enterprise logger priority to FATAL
log4j.logger.org.apache.axis2.enterprise=FATAL
log4j.logger.de.hunsicker.jalopy.io=FATAL
log4j.logger.httpclient.wire.header=FATAL
log4j.logger.org.apache.commons.httpclient=FATAL

# CONSOLE is set to be a ConsoleAppender using a PatternLayout.
log4j.appender.CONSOLE=org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender
log4j.appender.CONSOLE.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.CONSOLE.layout.ConversionPattern=[%p] %m%n

# LOGFILE is set to be a File appender using a PatternLayout.
log4j.appender.LOGFILE=org.apache.log4j.FileAppender
log4j.appender.LOGFILE.File=axis2.log
log4j.appender.LOGFILE.Append=true
log4j.appender.LOGFILE.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.LOGFILE.layout.ConversionPattern=%d [%t] %-5p %c %x - %m%n

# My Web Service Appender

log4j.appender.MyWebService=org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender
log4j.appender.file.maxFileSize=100KB
log4j.appender.file.maxBackupIndex=5
log4j.appender.MyWebService.File=../../logs/MyWebService.log
log4j.appender.MyWebService.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.MyWebService.layout.ConversionPattern=%d [%t] %-5p %c %x -
%m%n

Does SLF4J ignore the logging properties file?  How do I get a log file
written to disk with SLF4J