[slf4j-user] Question about LoggerFactory

David Sills DSills at datasourceinc.com
Thu Dec 9 18:54:23 CET 2010

All:

For a project I'm currently working on, there is a need to use Java 1.4.
It's like going back to the Dark Ages, but I'm doing so far OK. I'm
using Ivy and the version of SLF4J I've specified is 1.6.1. However, I'm
running into a problem when I run my tests. Everything runs, but the
LoggerFactory throws and prints out an exception:

Unexpected problem occured during version sanity check

Reported exception:

java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:
java.util.Arrays.toString([Ljava/lang/Object;)Ljava/lang/String;

      at
org.slf4j.LoggerFactory.versionSanityCheck(LoggerFactory.java:161)

      at
org.slf4j.LoggerFactory.performInitialization(LoggerFactory.java:106)

      at
org.slf4j.LoggerFactory.getILoggerFactory(LoggerFactory.java:235)

      at org.slf4j.LoggerFactory.getLogger(LoggerFactory.java:208)

      at org.slf4j.LoggerFactory.getLogger(LoggerFactory.java:221)

      at
com.datasourceinc.alerts.util.AlertsFileParser.<init>(AlertsFileParser.j
ava:15)

      at
com.datasourceinc.alerts.util.FileParsingTest.testParse(FileParsingTest.
java:19)

      at
a:39)

      at
Impl.java:25)

      at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.junit3.JUnit3TestReference.run(JUn
it3TestReference.java:130)

      at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.TestExecution.run(TestExecution.ja
va:38)

      at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRunner.runTests(RemoteTe
stRunner.java:467)

      at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRunner.runTests(RemoteTe
stRunner.java:683)

      at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRunner.run(RemoteTestRun
ner.java:390)

      at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRunner.main(RemoteTestRu
nner.java:197)

I have looked at the appropriate line in the LoggerFactory source and I
don't quite understand what is happening. I have checked that the
versions of the API and implementation JARs match, so this has to have
something to do with using JDK 1.4, I'm assuming. Any ideas what is
happening or what I can do about it, short of getting source and
compiling it under 1.4?

Thanks!

David Sills