[slf4j-user] Log file doesn't roll over when set to archive each day.

slf4j at nomoreheroes.org.uk slf4j at nomoreheroes.org.uk
Tue Jul 12 23:26:22 CEST 2011

Hi there,

I've configured slf4j so that my application's log file rolls over each day.

My expectation is that, each day, the following happens around midnight:

1.  The logs for that day will be archived into a zipped file,
appropriately named.
2. The log file is reset to zero bytes and starts filling up with logs for
the current day.

What's actually happening at midnight is this:

1. The log file contents get archived into an appropriately named file.
2. The log file retains the logs for the day that's just ended, and starts
filling up with the current days logs on top of that.

The same trend continues day after day, leaving the active log file with
the log entries from the time the application was started right up until
the current day, and each log file contains logs from the time the
application was started up until it was archived.

I'll follow this up with my logback.xml file when I'm back at work, just
thought I'd post this now in case there's some really obvious things that
can cause this to happen.

The application server in question is Tomcat 5.5 (Badly needs upgrading, I
know but this will be happening very soon), and the application is a
custom built one.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions :-)