[slf4j-user] is*Enabled vs explicit method call performance measure

coldserenity rmuntyan at softserveinc.com
Fri Nov 11 18:52:25 CET 2011

(A small update just in case someone will ever need this)

Recently I had to revisit the the rule “When dereferenced arguments are
passed”.
For complex cases like lazy loaded object or when some additional logic
involved in method indeed we shall require is*Enabled check.
However we have a lot of simple calls like “array.size()”,
“System.currentTimeMillis() - start” so I wanted to know how big the
overhead is without logging level check.
I have prepared a  https://bitbucket.org/coldserenity/logperf/overview suite
to test that, and it turned out that on 500 Million iterations on my
Corei5+4GB1333DDR3 PC
   “if (isDebugEnabled())” averages to 2.1seconds while
    “array.size()” to 3.7s and
   “System.currentTimeMillis() - start” to 10.9s.
As you can see those are WITHIN the same order of magnitude. Which means we
can quite safely use explicit calls for those two and similar cases, where
we would have used isDebugEnabled() check. Just to underline how miserable
the difference is I’ll explain what 500M iterations mean. In this test they
are lines in the log file should we turn the debugging on. With an average
of 80 characters per line (which is usually greater) we would have received
a 40Gigabyte per 10 seconds for log file growth may the HDD allow us writing
at such speeds. Of course not all logs are turned at once; however neither
is the application flow happening at such speeds (side-note out of this is
that for critical application blocks (million-iteration loops) there should
be no logging statements at all).

So to conclude, I now tend to think that there can be no edge-case rule
either to solely use or not to use if (isDebugEnabled()) statements. A
developer must understand the background (whether this is critical execution
path or not, is the logic overly-complex to understand, what is the
performance impact of particular statement as compared to alternatives, the
consequences of taking one or the other approach) and make the decision
consciously – as a balance between code readability (maintainability) and
performance.