[slf4j-user] Slf4j for Android

Dario Garcia dario.garcia at 10pines.com
Tue Sep 25 17:07:36 CEST 2012

Hi everyone,

This is my first post, I apologize if not conforming to the etiquette of
this list (point me in the right direction in that case).

My name is Darío García, I'm an Android developer using SLF4J Android.
I have a little suggestion for SLF4J Android that will make my life easier,
and hopefully other users too.

The context:
My android application use several libs that output log statements using
slf4j.
As far as I know there's no way to tell the Android SLF4J binding which
loggers should be silent and which should be outputed (as oposed to
logback's configuration xml).
That means that when I set debug as the current level, I get mixed
statements from my code, and from those libraries in the log and is
difficult to read.
Also there's a performance penalty due to all the logging.

Suggestion 1:
Is there any chance that you will be adding the possibility to configure
each logger as logback does?
I could mute the libraries and only output my own code to android logcat.

Alternate suggestion 2:
Is there any chance to separate the SLF4J api, and the android binding?
In that way I could use a Null Binding for those libraries so I don't see
them in the logs.
And use the native android logging system for my own code.
This is not as pretty but could do the work.

Thanks for your time,
Best regards

--
*Darío García*