[slf4j-user] Replaceable MessageFormatter

Chris Pratt thechrispratt at gmail.com
Thu Dec 26 23:28:40 CET 2013

Joachim,

  I'm not sure what you are saying is "happening so rarely" for you??  Are
you saying you log information so infrequently that you rarely either do
log.debug("The file " + file.getAbsoluteFile().toString() + " was created
on " + file.lastModified()) or do log.debug("The file {} was created on
{}",file.getAbsoluteFile().toString(),file.lastModified());?  In both
cases, you are performing computations that are thrown away in a production
environment.

Ceki had a valid point that replaceable loggers would be a bad idea, so I'm
no longer proposing that.  My proposal would be for a single, more
powerful, formatter that could handle something like log.debug("The file
{0.absoluteFile} was created on {0.lastModified,date,yyyy-MM-dd",file);
  (*Chris*)