[slf4j-user] slf4j-api, OSGi and BndTools in Eclipse

Roberto Pierpaoli roberto at iooota.com
Fri Feb 26 09:44:44 UTC 2016

Hi,

I'm using slf4j-api v.1.7.16 in one of my OSGi-based projects: BndTools is
an Eclipse Plugin that I use for rapid testing (it handles many OSGi
implementations, really easying the procedure of deploying the code into
them and launching the runtime).

Before launching the runtime, BndTools performs an auto-resolve routine to
pre-populate the environment with all the needed JARs: in my case it
resolves slf4j-api v.1.7.16 as requested by my code, but **also slf4j-api
v.1.6.2 as requested by slf4j-api v.1.7.16 itself**...

When running the runtime, an error occurs, since 2 JARs are found exposing
the same packages and this is ambiguous inside an OSGi environment.

Exploring the JARs I have noticed that slf4j-api v1.7.16 declares an
explicit dependency its manifest towards the following package:

Import-Package: org.slf4j.impl;version=1.6.0

is this normal?

May be this the reason why also slf4j-api v.1.6.2 is resolved by BndTools
and thus both the JARs are included?

Thanks for any contribution,

Roberto