[slf4j-user] hi and a basic question

Hendrick, James JAMES.HENDRICK at LibertyMutual.com
Mon Jan 30 22:46:56 CET 2017

Sorry if this is covered somewhere. I searched back a couple months and didn't see anything.

How does the API support sending to a local system syslog service?

Specifically I do *not* want this to send to a server over the network (e.g. udp/514) but to send to the local kernel logger.

With that, how do I as a developer have control over things in the syslog header and message body?

It looks like: logger.debug("This is my application syslog message part")
Would generate a Severity debug message - but I do not easily see where to set the rest of the header fields.

For example, if I want APP-NAME (in the syslog header) to use a specific string - where is that set?
Also for things like PROCID, MSGID, PRI etc.

I want to have different groups of developers separate their logs using the syslog standard fields, and then use the standard syslog daemon to forward these to our central logging service.

Thanks!!

Jim Hendrick
Global Information Security
GSEC, GPPA, GCIA, GCPM, GCCC