[slf4j-user] Recommendation for library writers: use thiscopy and paste wrapper around SLF4j to avoid default static initialization

Ceki Gülcü ceki at qos.ch
Fri Mar 17 23:47:26 CET 2017

Hi Adam,

--------------
Quoting from https://www.slf4j.org/faq.html#optional_dependency

It is reasonable to assume that in most projects Wombat will be one
dependency among many. If each library had its own logging wrapper, then
each wrapper would presumably need to be configured separately. Thus,
instead of having to deal with one logging framework, namely SLF4J, the
user of Wombat would have to detail with Wombat's logging wrapper as
well. The problem will be compounded by each framework that comes up
with its own wrapper in order to make SLF4J optional. (Configuring or
dealing with the intricacies of five different logging wrappers is not
exactly exciting nor endearing.)
--------------

--------------
Quoting from: http://stackoverflow.com/a/11360517/100970
and http://stackoverflow.com/a/11359358/100970

Except the end user could have already done this customization for his
own code, or another library that uses log4j or LogBack. jul is
extensible, but having to extend LogBack, jul, log4j and God only knows
which other logging framework because he uses 4 libraries that use 4
different logging frameworks is cumbersome. By using slf4j, you allow
him to configure the logging frameworks he wants. not the one you have
chosen. Remember that typical projects use myriads of libraries, and not
just yours.

You need to consider the Kantian argument. What will happen if every
library developer follows your pattern? In my opinion, the situation
will be not just bad but completely untenable for the end-user.