[slf4j-user] Recommendation for library writers: use thiscopy and paste wrapper around SLF4j to avoid default static initialization

Adam Gent adam.gent at snaphop.com
Sat Mar 18 20:04:52 CET 2017

I generally agree with your points but I also know there are plenty of
people that completely disagree.
Just check out https://bill.burkecentral.com/2012/05/22/write-your-own-logging-abstraction/

This would be an effort to some what mitigate those who have concerns
have SLF4J and its depenency.

I also wonder if your general opinion isn't stockholm syndrom. Do you
have any idea how many people hate:

SLF4J: Failed to load class "org.slf4j.impl.StaticLoggerBinder".
SLF4J: Defaulting to no-operation (NOP) logger implementation
SLF4J: See http://www.slf4j.org/codes.html#StaticLoggerBinder for
further details.

As a library writer it is fairly annoying to have to deal with users
complaining about. The ones that really care about logging are
generally OK with dealing with extra step

> In that case, my recommendation is: Just use SLF4J as it comes out of the
> box. (I have yet to see a different recommendation.)
>
>> Particularly if this library is high performance or maybe used by
>> android applications. In such case the library would default to the
>> NOPLogger and thus not initialize.
>

> How would the library know whether it's called in Android?
> Should it even care?

Yes. The reality is often it has to. Maybe not the code itself but the
library maintainers might have to be concerned with Android (this
includes backporting at times).
Of course if you don't care about Android...

> Your proposal does not change anything about the performance of trace
> messages.

Yes it does! I have benchmarked it myself... but alas I don't feel
like pulling JMH out now nor the hassle of dealing with Android to
prove such. Unless you are extremely careful about configuration or
just always globally using the NOPLogger there is generally some
overhead the logging framework will do per call. Now I admit this is a
while ago and I can't remember what logging framework was underneath.
Maybe logback does a better job. I can't imagine it some how has
specially loggers for each level (or maybe it does).

> That's a solved problem: SLF4J is collecting log messages during startup,
> and emitting them once the backend is ready.

That doesn't fix anything. I have to now figure out how to intercept
the backend before it does whatever you know like connecting to a
message queue.

> Also, a production system shouldn't use anything that requires a lot of
> setup to work. Text files and message queues should be fine, database
> connections are a bit too fragile.
> (General principle: Use a more robust mechanism for logging than for what
> your application does.)

Really... I don't think you realize how successful you guys have been
in getting everyone to use SL4J.
You can't even make an HTTP call (let alone use a message queue) these
days with out kicking off a logger (commons HTTP components kicks off
a logger).  Making an HTTP call to setup logging stuff is pretty
useful and the JDK HTTP client is pretty crappy. But yes you are
generally correct and I agree with you.

> That's two logging configurations; in the code, you still have a single
> logger.
> Oh. Right. In
>   Logger logger = LoggerFactory.getLogger(...);
> what's called "Logger" is really just a namespace.
> There is no real configuration going on for it, it's just a name plus two
> internal data fields (which aren't initializated until they are used).
> I.e. setting up a "Logger" object is a very cheap operation; initializing
> SLF4J can take a while because it needs to pull all the configuration files
> together, but your application isn't going to do that in a background thread
> so nothing else happens during that time anyway. (That's why "backend isn't
> ready yet" is *that* much of a problem in practice.)

Application startup time is a big deal... it is the number one hate of
Java I hear most.
But you missed my point that most library consumers (applications)
really just don't give crap about what their libraries are logging.
And when they really really do they can go to the libraries web site
and figure out how to turn on logging. I mean you have to figure out
the logger names anyway.

My point was I only care about the parent framework and my
applications codes logging. It seems a shame to have innocuous
libraries  instantiating 1-3 different libraries indirectly (depending
on how many wrappers, bridges, and converters you are using). It is
just the kind of thing people complain about Java.

All in all I was *trying* to improve the adoption of SLF4J and have it
handle more than 80/20 but 100 of most use cases.
But I suppose most will go off and implement their own stuff anyway.
I wasn't even proposing changing SLF4J.

CTO
SnapHop (snaphop.com)
(twitter) @agentgt (linkedin) http://www.linkedin.com/in/agentgt