[slf4j-user] What is the correct jcl-over-slf4j license?

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Tue May 15 03:23:56 CEST 2018

Am 14.05.2018 um 22:45 schrieb Michiel Haisma:
> Regardless,
> since the pom.xml file uses the parent pom file, according to maven
> logic, the package is licensed with MIT.

Maven logic cannot override legal logic.

Legal logic says that the child-to-parent link is either a reference or
an inclusion.

If it is inclusion, then it is a combined work and you need to obey both
licenses. If you cannot obey both at the same time (contradictory
conditions, i.e. licenses are incompatible), you cannot redistribute the
combination. However, incompatibility does not seem to be an issue here.

If it is a reference, and if you redistribute only one component, then
you need to obey just that component's license.

Caveats:
- This is not the full picture.
- I have been following software copyright pretty closely over many
years, so I am pretty confident I know what I'm talking about. Still, IANAL.

Regards,
Jo