[logback-dev] improving Logback Console Plugin with Table instead of List

Maarten Bosteels mbosteels.dns at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 14:28:19 CET 2007

Hello Karl,

I am not working on the Logback Console Plugin, but I agree that a JTable
would be much better than just text.

But instead of enhancing the current plugin, this is what I had in mind:
* enhance vigilog [1] in several ways (ability to taill a log-file, to
receive logging events over a socket, ...)
* create a plugin for Eclipse and for IntelliJ IDEA that listens on a socket
for commands like
    "goto:org.some.package.MyCoolClass:172"  => plugin will then open an
editor window for the specified class and line
* vigilog could then create hyperlinks for all logging events that have a
locationInfo and for stacktraces

This way, we can concentrate on enhancing vigilog and both eclipse and idea
users benefit.

Note that I am not yet a vigilog contributor, and it could take a long time
before all this is accomplished.
Just wanted to let you know what I have in mind.

And if you want to add a JTable to the Console Plugin, it might be
interesting to have a look at the vigilog source code.
It uses glazedlists and JxTable.

[1] http://vigilog.sourceforge.net/

Regards
Maarten