[logback-dev] Reverted logback license back to LGPL

Joern Huxhorn jhuxhorn at googlemail.com
Sat Aug 9 20:17:22 CEST 2008

Hi Ceki,

might I suggest to change the license from LGPL V2 to LGPL V3?

The Apache Software License 2.0 isn't compatible with GPL2, only with
GPL3, so software distributed using Apache Software License probably
wouldn't be allowed to use logback.

http://www.apache.org/licenses/GPL-compatibility.html
http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/#apache2

While LGPL allows the use of a later version as an option in its
license text, I'm not really sure if this is sufficient to use it with
ASL...

Common sense indicates yes but the above link indicates no.

I'm not sure about LGPL anyway because there only seems to be a
problem with GPL.

So if you don't see a problem with V3 it would be nice to just be
explicit about it. Just to get rid of the uncertainty :)

IANAL,
Joern.