[logback-dev] Reverted logback license back to LGPL

Ralph Goers Ralph.Goers at dslextreme.com
Sun Aug 10 23:45:27 CEST 2008

Actually, Apache wouldn't have a problem with Logback under the LGPL. It
just can't distribute it or host it. As you know, many projects are
already using SLF4J. Obviously, it is very easy to tell users what to do
to use Logback.  The legal committee allows the use of LGPL'd software
in exactly these kinds of circumstances. Since users are free to choose
from multiple implementations there isn't any restriction that Logback
can't be one of them. This discussion has come up many times. The LGPL
is not really a problem where the use of the component is optional.

The point of the GPL and LGPL is that users who use the library and make
modifications must publish those modifications if they wish to
distribute their work. This is really more of an impact in a commercial
setting than in the ASF. Even then there are a lot of cases where it
isn't a problem. But some companies simply won't allow or don't want the
"hassle" of making whatever custom filters, appenders, etc they have
created available to their customers. Those are the people you will lose
out on.

I doubt anyone would seriously consider forking the Logback project and
then supporting it themselves, even if it was licensed under something
like the MIT license. It just doesn't make sense to do that to a project
that is actively being maintained, such as Logback is.  I work with the
Liferay portal, which is licensed under the MIT license. They are doing
quite well. In fact, Sun is now partnering with them to jointly develop
the code. Sun certainly had the option of taking Liferay's code and then
forking it, but it just made no business sense to do that.

The bottom line here is that you choose the license you want for a
reason. I'm trying to understand how the LGPL provides more benefit to
you vs any other license you could pick. You've not really answered that
question.

Ralph