[logback-dev] benchmarking extension to junit?

Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen thunderaxiom at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 15:58:06 CEST 2008

Ceki Gulcu skrev  den 04-08-2008 15:58:
> Hello all,
>
> Logback contains a small number of time-sensitive tests. The time needed to
> execute these tests depend on the capabilities of the host CPU. For example, if
> on my machine a test executes in 1 millisecond, I would expect it to
> finish in say 1*10 milliseconds on most machine -- allowing for 10 fold variation.
>
> Does anyone know of a junit extension which can help me normalize the
> coefficient, 10 in the previous example, so that it adapts to the
> speed of the host CPU? There is also the problem of the JIT
> compiler...
>
> Any recommendations on the subject?

I have not heard of such an extension.

I would however expect that a concept similar to the BogoMips might be
applicable.  Namely that you run a reference program for X miliseconds
and see how many Y operations you could run.  You then use that number Y
for calibration.

What is it you want to normalize against?

--
  Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen          "... plus... Tubular Bells!"