[logback-dev] Reverted logback license back to LGPL

Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen thunderaxiom at gmail.com
Sun Aug 31 16:43:23 CEST 2008

Ceki Gulcu skrev  den 29-08-2008 18:11:
> I just discovered that Glassfish is distributed under a dual-license, CDDL or
> GPL. Interesting...

I believe that Sun has finaly recognized that they want open source
marked penetration instead of absolute control of their software, and
that the Linux distributions liked the CDDL as little as Sun liked the GPL.

The choice of license is political IMHO.  Personally the GPL agrees best
with me, but in the case of logback where you try to penetrate on a
marked which is already filled this is most likely a disadvantage as it
will prohibit the uptake in long running commercial applications (I work
in an environment where code literaly live forever, you just upgrade the
hardware so code licenses are important also for supportive libraries).

I think that adapting a suitable dual or even triple license would be
reasonable for this very basic functionality.

--
  Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen          "... plus... Tubular Bells!"