[logback-dev] Least-effort logging with bytecode modification

Ceki Gulcu listid at qos.ch
Tue Nov 18 17:23:37 CET 2008

Hello Robert,

Robert Elliot wrote:
 > Thanks - I checked the slf4j-ext project when I started, but not the
 > Subversion repository.  I presume this is a post-compile step rather
 > than runtime byte code alteration?

No, the Agent extensions perform byte code engineering at
runtime. BTW, the subject of this thread is "Least-effort logging with
*bytecode* modification".

 > Out of curiousity (not criticising!) what was the reason for picking
 > javassist rather than aspectj?

I think the goal was to add logging at runtime. Can you do byte code
engineering with AspectJ? I'll let Thorbjørn give a more authoritative
answer.

It looks like you have already done some work using AspectJ-generateed
logging. How useful do you find the results, mildly useful, useful, or
very useful?