[logback-dev] Logback and Java requirement

Ceki Gulcu listid at qos.ch
Tue Nov 18 18:35:46 CET 2008

Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen wrote:
> Hi Ceki.
>
> I just migrated an elderly application using log4j and jcl to logback
> except logback doesn't run under Java 1.4 (which is what I have on this
> AS/400).  Bummer.  I wanted the markers to be able to filter on
> threads.  Oh well.

Sorry to hear about the wasted effort. Did you use the slf4j-migrator?

It's documented: http://logback.qos.ch/dependencies.html

> (And it appears that http://retrotranslator.sourceforge.net/ works with
> logback under 1.4, but that
> stack traces look somewhat strange, I'll look into that later)

Earlier versions of logback offered retrotranslated jar. However, we did not
want to bother with testing and maintaining that. (It is a thankless job).

If you wish, you can add it back by reversing the changes at:

http://svn.qos.ch/viewvc?view=rev&revision=1660

The last time I checked the retrotranslated code worked pretty well. However,
that was over 6 months ago.

HTH,