[logback-dev] Question about a custom binary file appender.

Joern Huxhorn jhuxhorn at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 23 18:38:38 CEST 2009

Hi Ceki.

I'd like to implement a file appender that writes the binary Lilith
format, i.e. gzipped protobuf-serialized events, instead of Strings.
I'd also like to have the same functionality that's supported by
RollingFileAppender right now.

Unfortunately, there seems to be no way to simply write bytes instead of
a String. How would you go from here?
Reimplementing everything from the start seems to be a pretty bad idea.

What do you think about enhancing the RFA so it's using byte[] instead
of Strings? The current behavior could be implemented using those
methods + string.getBytes("UTF-8") or CharsetEncoder...

Any idea, suggestions?

Regards,
Joern.