[logback-dev] Twitter Appender?

Joern Huxhorn jhuxhorn at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 5 13:48:32 CEST 2009

On 05.08.2009, at 12:03, Ceki Gulcu wrote:

> Hi Joern,
>
> TwitterAppender does make sense.
>
> As a use case, imagine an application problem represented by a logging
> event of level ERROR. The logging event is sent to TwitterAppender
> which tweets (posts a tweeter message) under the account of Alice, a
> dedicated (non-human) tweeter user. Relevant system administrators,
> followers of Alice, would see her tweets and take whatever necessary
> steps are required to respond to the error message. They could do so
> using a tweeter client on a smart phone, for example "tweetie" [1].

Best of all, there's another application for the iPhone called Boxcar
[2] that pushes @replies, meaning that a message box pops up on the
phone and an (optional) sound (or vibration if muted) is played when a
reply is received.
So it would probably make sense to send those messages as @replies to
users listed in the appender. This would reduce the number of
available characters, though.

> You could prevent flooding by limiting the number of tweets per time
> frame, say at most once an hour. I actually have code lying somewhere
> which does this using a sophisticated algorithm. Consider flooding
> as a solved problem.
>
> Evaluators, in particular JaninoEvalurators, could be used to filter
> out certain messages from triggering tweets. Tweets of confidential
> log messages could be avoided assuming the said log messaged contained
> a special marker, say CONFIDENTIAL.

Another way that I forgot would be a twitter account with a private
timeline. Those are not available for searching and can only @reply to
people that are following it. Following must be accepted by the account.
I think this would be sufficient for most cases but something like a
CONFIDENTIAL marker does also make a lot of sense. This would simply
be configured "around" the appender, right?

> The contents of the tweets could be formatted using a PatternLayout
> similar to the way SMTPAppender formats the subject of the outgoing
> email message.

This sounds very good. The only problem I see is that the message
would have a variable length, i.e. 140-username.length()-2, in case of
@replies. Those are much more useful than just a status-update,
though, due to the mentioned push-functionality and special sounds
played by desktop applications.

> How about building a prototype of TweeterAppender?

I could do that but I'm pretty occupied at the moment.

Twitter4J is dead-simple, though.

The dependency is
<dependency>
     <groupId>net.homeip.yusuke</groupId>
     <artifactId>twitter4j</artifactId>
     <version>[2.0,)</version>
</dependency>

And sending a status update is done like this:
Twitter twitter = new Twitter(twitterID,twitterPassword);
Status status = twitter.updateStatus(latestStatus);
System.out.println("Successfully updated the status to [" +
status.getText() + "].");

The twitter instance would only be created once and is thread-safe.

I think all that would be needed by a TwitterAppender would by

String username;
String password;
String users; // ,-seperated list of twitter usernames to use for