[logback-dev] RFC 5424 and Structured Data support.

Ceki Gülcü ceki at qos.ch
Fri Dec 4 23:12:37 CET 2009

Hi Ralph,

I've looked at the changed you made in relation to RFC 5424. It's
quite a significant architectural change. The RFC 5424 route is in the
opposite direction of logback where one creates a new module for each
new event type. This offers the benefit of type safety but has
significant overhead from a packaging pov, whereas the 5424 route has
little packaging overhead but omits type safety.

The RFC 5424 approach is not to be discarded. However, I don't think
it's a route we should take at this *immediate* juncture. I propose to
put it aside for the time being and come back to it, possibly with a
vengeance, some time later.

BR