[logback-dev] RFC: LoggingEvent redesign

Thorbjoern Ravn Andersen ravn at runjva.com
Wed Feb 25 13:03:36 CET 2009

Ceki Gulcu skrev:

> The prepareForDeferredProcessing() method in the LoggingEvent class
> addresses that problem. Whenever a logging event is about to be
> serialized or transferred to another thread, you, as an author of an
> appender, are supposed to call
> loggingEvent.prepareForDeferredProcessing().
I think that it would be appropriate to provide a flush mechanism on an
appender (in lack of a better word) which is accessible through the
configuration or pattern or code.

The flush mechanism would immediately run the String-flattening of the
arguments making them safe from all these issues.  If NOT invoked, the
flattening would happen as lazily as possible.

I believe this behaviour should be explicitly enabled, keeping the
default of immediately Stringifying when the event has been accepted for
logging.

--
  Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen  "...plus... Tubular Bells!"