[logback-dev] What is the most efficient way - preferrably platform agnostic - to submit events from "the outside"?

Thorbjoern Ravn Andersen ravn at runjva.com
Sat Feb 28 21:44:55 CET 2009

Joern Huxhorn skrev:
> I've found no other way beside the TimeoutOutputStream that I'm using
> now. Any other idea?

Not as such.  TCP/IP is very robust especially for dealing with these
situtations, which is exactly what you are trying to avoid (so normally
you would use UDP in such a situation like Quake and other multiplayer
games do).

>> I am still pondering on a language agnostic receiver.   The reason
>> for the XML being uninteresting was because it was much more verbose
>> than the plain serialised byte object?
>
> I wouldn't call it uninteresting ;)
> It's just more expensive to create such events so I'd only use it if I
> have to.
Are they?  How come?     Perhaps if using XMLEncoder instead of rolling
your own :)

>   otherwise there's no real point to use XML. I could just define a
> binary format, right?

THe usual reason for using XML instead of a binary format is that you
get the parser for free so you can go language agnostic easily.

>>  Would a sufficiently terse xml-dialect be interesting?  I was
>> thinking of having one-character node names and attribute names? (and
>> moving the namespace outside the fragments).
>
> I'm not sure about that. Thinking about a binary format would probably
> be more worthwhile...
Binary formats are rather painful to extend at a later date.  Just see
how hard it is even with help from the serialization modules.

You may remember that I am in a situation where our production servers
are inaccessible and where I want our logs to be both humanly readable
as well as reprocessable.    I would be very interested in defining a
very terse XML dialect for this purpose, as Ceki has demonstrated
earlier that my needs cannot be fullfilled by the log4j dtd.

I see a good need for a production strength "xml receiver -> sfl4j
events" added to the slf4j-ext package (or so) - would it licensewise be
possible to adapt your work into this?

--
  Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen  "...plus... Tubular Bells!"