[logback-dev] synchronization style?

Maarten Bosteels mbosteels.dns at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 17:13:40 CEST 2009

I agree with Ralph: try to keep the locks as briefly as possible.
Because
a) it could improve scalability
b) the reason that Joern gives
c) if there ever is a need to change it, making synchonized blocks bigger is
probably easier than trying to make them smaller

I definitely agree about not penalizing *all* users with fair locks.

from Java Concurrency In Practice:

"While shrinking synchronized blocks can improve scalability, a
synchronizedblock can be
too small. - operations that need to be atomic (such updating multiple
variables that participate in an invariant) must be contained in a single
synchronized block. And because the cost of synchronization is nonzero,
breaking one synchronized block into multiple synchronized blocks
(correctness permitting) at some point becomes counterproductive in terms of
performance.[9]<http://book.javanb.com/java-concurrency-in-Practice/ch11lev1sec4.html#ch11fn09>The
ideal balance is of course platform-dependent, but in practice it
makes
sense to worry about the size of a synchronized block only when you can move
"substantial" computation or blocking operations out of it.

[9] If the JVM performs lock coarsening, it may undo the splitting of
synchronized blocks anyway."

http://book.javanb.com/java-concurrency-in-Practice/ch11lev1sec4.html

Maarten