[logback-dev] Official "Holler!" concerning my topic on stackoverflow.com

Ceki Gulcu ceki at qos.ch
Tue Jun 9 15:38:29 CEST 2009

In principle, status messages are emitted by components other than Joran only
when things go wrong. Setting the level of a logger is too low level an
opetation to warrant a status message. However, Joran, which is higher level,
does emit a status message when its sets the level of a logger.

Joern Huxhorn wrote:
> I've set the context, now.
>
> Only
> 15:17:48,284 |-INFO in ch.qos.logback.core.FileAppender[FILE] - File
> property is set to [/tmp/logging17790log]
> is printed.
> Nothing about attaching this to that or "root level set to ALL".
> Strange.
>
> On 09.06.2009, at 14:59, Ceki Gulcu wrote:
>
>> Hello Joern,
>>
>> It looks like you are not setting the context for the PatternLayout.
>> To see what is going on, you should invoke StatusPrinter. It will tell
>> you what you are missing.
>>
>> Joern Huxhorn wrote:

>>> Hi Ceki,
>>> I tried to implement the test-base like this but nothing was written
>>> to the logfile. The files are created but they have a size of 0 bytes.
>>> Please have a look at
>>> http://apps.sourceforge.net/trac/sulky/browser/trunk/sulky-junit/src/main/java/de/huxhorn/sulky/junit/LoggingTestBase.java My
>>> futile attempt is commented out.
>>> I'm sure I miss something really stupid :p
>>> Beside that, is there some easier way to just restart the usual
>>> logging configuration process instead of manually doing it like I do
>>> in resetLogging?
>>> Thanks,
>>> Jörn.