[logback-dev] License (again)

Ralph Goers rgoers at apache.org
Thu Jun 11 16:59:31 CEST 2009

Ceki,

There are an infinite number of cases where no one outside of a
particular company, or even a business unit of a company, would have
any interest in some of these Appenders. Customers might not even want
them when the product is sold externally. But to avoid having to go
through the hassle of what you describe below, but still be in
compliance with the license, all the LGPL'd code would need to by
physically kept separate from all the other code to avoid it being
distributed. This is just painful to manage.

Setting up servers or creating code bases to manage tiny bits of code
is almost nonsensical in its practically. The cost of the hardware,
software and people time to manage just isn't worth the effort and is
even less appealing than separating the code.

This isn't about proprietary code. I simply guarantee you that you
would not be interested in accepting the Appenders in these cases, as
they have no value to the general public.  For example, in some cases
database appenders might be written to log to some pre-existing
database schema. Why would the community want that? In my case, we
have an Appender that I wrote and hate, but can't kill because it
interacts with our legacy system. I would never distribute it, but for
simplicity it is packaged with other general purpose stuff, none of
which has the LGPL distribution restrictions. To manage this I will
have to create a new isolated project with this single class just to
avoid this issue.

While the intent of the LGPL is fine - and I agree with it for the
core of Logback, Appenders should be considered to be like plug-ins
that can act as adapters to other systems. In that sense it is better
for them to use the license of the system they are adapting with, not
the LGPL. This is very similar to the reason why the Application using
Logback needs to be free to use whatever license it wants. This isn't
really an extension of Logback but simply a case of wanting to be able
to plug it into an existing system.

Ralph