[logback-dev] License (again)

Ralph Goers rgoers at apache.org
Fri Jun 12 16:46:06 CEST 2009

Ceki,

I think you are missing the point. All of the solutions you have
suggested involve work that a typical corporation would want to avoid
having to do. They won't want to set up blogs, or distribute a special
zip file and then have to document where it is. It is already hard
enough to build a product to be distributed.

Rather than deal with it the corporate attorneys will typically tell
you not to use the LGPL'd work.  Generally, we will get legal approval
for LGPL'd works when they don't cause our code to be "infected" and
they are disallowed otherwise.

As I said, most companies these days would prefer to use off the shelf
stuff that is distributed with the framework they chose, so if they
need to write a custom appender they would prefer it be donated back
to the project. This is regardless of the license (and the LGPL
doesn't compel one to do this anyway). But I'd venture a guess that
most Appenders that get written that are not requested to be added to
Logback are as I described - stuff that is unique to a specific
environment that isn't generally useful.

So in the end, the LGPL isn't really accomplishing much except making
it more difficult for your users to use Logback.

Ralph