[logback-dev] What is the most efficient way - preferrably platform agnostic - to submit events from "the outside"?

Ralph Goers rgoers at apache.org
Mon Mar 2 08:58:56 CET 2009

On Mar 1, 2009, at 11:38 PM, Thorbjoern Ravn Andersen wrote:

> Ralph Goers skrev:
>> I think I've lost the point of this discussion somewhere.  The
>> subject says something about submitting events remotely yet this
>> discussion seems to be totally about serialization. If it is really
>> about something like a "service" to submit events than I would
>> suggest looking at Spring remoting and some of the protocols it
>> supports - such as Hessian or Burlap.  I would argue that a
>> discussion about how best to serialize an object is pointless
>> without having first decided on what the service API is. For
>> example, are you presuming that one system will log to an Appender
>> that will forward to a server that will turn around and log the
>> event again? Or perhaps an Appender would just forward the event to
>> an Appender on the remote system?  Or, using Spring Remoting one
>> could imagine that the local Appender is just a client stub
>> generated by Spring forwarding to the "real" Appender somewhere else.
> I think the reason was that I asked Jörn to share his experiences
> with the appenders in Lilith and that I could not understand his
> conclusion :)
>
> What I am trying to get to is a simple way to "magically" transport
> a logging event from one instance of logback to another, where it
> would be processed with filters etc as any other event originated on
> the instance itself.  The platform agnosticity implies that Java
> serialization is not trivial to use, hence the discussion with Jörn...
>
> Would Spring Remoting imply that Java is required?

Not necessarily. It depends on the transport protocol you use. For
example, both Hessian (http://hessian.caucho.com/) and Burlap http://hessian.caucho.com/doc/burlap.xtp)
  are protocols that could be used from any language. If you look at
Hessian you will see that Caucho even provides implementations for
many languages. Spring remoting leverages the Caucho Java classes
under the covers. Seehttp://static.springframework.org/spring/docs/2.5.x/reference/remoting.html
.

Ralph