[logback-dev] What is the most efficient way - preferrably platform agnostic - to submit events from "the outside"?

Maarten Bosteels mbosteels.dns at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 11:17:06 CET 2009

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 10:34 AM, Joern Huxhorn <jhuxhorn at googlemail.com>wrote:

> Maarten Bosteels wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Yesterday, I created a logging.proto file for serializing a Logback
> > LoggingEvent.
> > Still have to do the benchmarks, but based on [1] and [2] I expect it to
> be
> > faster then java serialization.
> >
> > [1]
> http://www.eishay.com/2008/11/serialization-protobuf-vs-thrift-vs.html
> > [2]
> >
> http://www.eishay.com/2008/11/protobuf-with-option-optimize-for-speed.html
> >
> > WDYT ?
> >
> > Maarten
> >
> That looks very interesting, especially [2]!
> I didn't know about Protobuf and Thrift. Care to share the proto file?

Sure, will send it to list tonight (haven't got access to it right now).

As I wrote earlier, I think protobuf (and Thrift) have some very cool
features:
* you can update messages without breaking old code [a]
* faster than XML
* smaller than XML
* binary, but with a convenient human-readable representation for debugging
and editing
* language-neutral, platform-neutral

[a] http://code.google.com/apis/protocolbuffers/docs/proto.html#updating

Maarten