[logback-dev] What is the most efficient way - preferrably platform agnostic - to submit events from "the outside"?

Joern Huxhorn jhuxhorn at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 2 17:33:59 CET 2009

Exactly.
We are just trying to find a less fragile approach than serialization
for the events sent using SocketAppender (or my multipex-appenders).
Ideally, it should be platform- and programming-language-neutral and
shouldn't perform much worse than java serialization.
protobuf seems to be a ideal candidate from what I've read so far. I'll
definitely give it a try.

While this is just a subset of "send this logging event there" I had the
impression that the question of transport was already solved more or
less. There's little alternative to a message based approach (int
containing size of data followed by data bytes) if Java serialization is
not used.

Any kind of RMI will *definitely* be slower than this approach and we
should evaluate it as an additional possibility after implementing the
high-speed one.

Joern.