[logback-dev] What is the most efficient way - preferrably platform agnostic - to submit events from "the outside"?

Maarten Bosteels mbosteels.dns at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 13:50:43 CET 2009

On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 12:18 PM, Thorbjoern Ravn Andersen
<ravn at runjva.com>wrote:

> Ceki Gulcu skrev:
>
>> As there are certainly pros and cons for each serialization approach,
>> instead of the debate eventually degenerating into a religious
>> argument, we are likely to be better served by basing comparisons on
>> the same logging event data collection, which in the compression world
>> is called a "corpus". At present time, we do not have a logging event
>> corpus. Just as importantly, logback currently lacks a format for
>> storing the said corpus. Given that this corpus will serve as a
>> yardstick for a long time, and performance is not an issue, a human
>> readable text format such as XML seems like a reasonable choice.
>>
>> Is anyone interested in providing a corpus?

>> Having said that, defining a corpus seems to me as being the most
>> pressing issue at this time.
>>
>> Once we settle on a corpus, we can more objectively debate the merits
>> of such and such serialization strategy.
>>
>>  If I understand you correctly you basically say there is a need for a
> standardized set of event data.
>
> After thinking this over it might be better to have code generating the
> events instead of them being stored statically on disk.  This is to avoid
> setting any API in stone except the slf4j interface which by now should be
> settled.

I was thinking the same thing. Having some code that generates a pre-defined
set of logging events.

Side note : I don't think we should be looking for THE wire-format for
logback events, because different projects will have different needs.
For example, I don't care whether the wire-format is human readable or not.
And for me it isn't absolutely necessary that the receiver can re-construct
an *exact* LoggingEvent from the payload.

Maarten