[logback-dev] Protobuf

Maarten Bosteels mbosteels.dns at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 22:09:48 CET 2009

Hi Ceki,

Keep in mind that I still have to double check my LoggingEvent-to-protobuf
converter.

Serializing the corpus with different formats:
java serialization   => 16 MB  (16108602)
protobuf                => 33 MB  (34385867 bytes)
protobuf + gzip      => 9.9 MB  (10354646 bytes)
protbuf + deflater   =>  12 MB  (12006206 bytes)

speed:

java serialization:    4330 ms
protobuf                   928 ms
protobuf + gzip       3146 ms
protobuf + deflater  1883 ms

So I would choose for protobuf + deflater :  25% smaller than java
serilaization and twice as fast.

Deflater means using  java.util.zip.Deflater.BEST_SPEED

regards,
Maarten